This is a delicious ice cream recipe, and relatively healthy too. This recipe is inspired by the basic recipe for golden milk, but with the addition of extra spices to really get your taste buds tingling. It is a complete ice cream pleasure for you, your family and any guests.
Ginger and turmeric have many well know health properties as well as being deliciously warming to savor. Coconut milk aids digestion and may play a part in reducing high blood pressure and cholesterol. Coconut palm is extremely versatile and nutritious because nearly all parts can be eaten - the water, milk, flesh, sugar and oil. Pistachio nuts are little powerhouses of nutrition – they provide essential vitamins, fats, proteins and minerals to aid healthy heart and digestion, as well as protection against diabetes and hypertension.
This recipe can be made in an ice cream maker or without. Whichever you are using, it is a good idea to chill the container in the freezer before using (by container we either mean the ice cream maker bowl, or a freezable container).
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Freeze Time: Overnight or at least 4 hours until set
- 2 cans coconut milk (total 28oz)
- 2fl.oz pure maple syrup
- 2tsp ground Fresh Body Mind Turmeric
- 2 pinches ground cardamom
- 1 vanilla pod (split and seeds removed)
- 1 heaped tsp ground ginger
- ½tsp ground cinnamon
- 2oz pistachio nuts, quite finely chopped
Option – you can add more ginger or cinnamon if you enjoy the taste
- Place coconut milk and all the spices into a large saucepan, including the actual vanilla pod as well as the seeds. Bring to a simmer, whisking all the time, or at least regularly. It should take around 10 minutes. At this stage, adjust seasoning to taste.
- Remove from the heat. Leave to cool slightly, then drain mixture through a sieve into a large bowl and allow to cool to room temperature. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate to chill down completely (at least 1 hour).
- Put into the ice cream maker and churn according to instructions, which is normally somewhere between 20-30 minutes.
- Once it has finished churning and looks like soft ice cream, quickly stir in the pistachios evenly. Spoon into a freezer safe container (previous ice cream tub that is thoroughly clean, or something like a loaf tin). Cover and freeze for 4 hours minimum, or up to 6 hours.
Note: If you do not have an ice cream maker, you can still make this easily, it just takes more time. After Step 2, place in the bowl or in a clean plastic container, cover with plastic wrap and place in the freezer. After 1½ hours – 2 hours, stir the ice cream vigorously to break down ice crystals. Place back in the freezer and repeat the process after the same time has lapsed. There should be no ice crystals in your ice cream.
Serve with fresh fruit – so tasty!
Nutrients Per Serving:
Calories 360, Protein 3.5g, Fat 32g (of which saturates 26g), Carbohydrates 18g, Sugar 13g, Fiber 4.5g