Hats off to mushrooms! These fantastic superfoods make great meat supplements, offering a number of health benefits. The fungi are rich in protein and fibre, are the only vegetables to contain vitamin D and make healthy recipes, with very few calories!
So, get inspired by these top 5 indulging mushroom recipes!
Nothing is more comforting than a bowl of pasta, topped with a creamy mushroom sauce.
- Simply prepare your plain pasta of choice, according to the packet instructions, by cooking, draining and keeping it warm until your sauce is ready.
- Heat up your saucepan, add one crushed garlic clove and chopped onions and stir-fry until golden-brown.
- Then add the mushrooms, this can be any type from the fungi kingdom, including maitake, shiitake, cordyceps or king trumpet mushrooms.
- Season to your taste and continue to stir.
- When the mushrooms and onions are tender and the liquid has evaporated, feel free to toss in some cream cheese and milk. Turn the heat up and stir continuously, until the sauce has slightly thickened.
Remove your saucepan from the heat, pour the creamy mushroom sauce over your pasta, then sprinkle some chives and parmesan if you wish and enjoy!
If you are looking for an indulging meal that is plant-based, low in calories and high in protein, then we may have just the recipe for you!
- Prepare your choice of rice or noodles the way you prefer.
- Heat up your saucepan and add some chopped garlic and onions. As they begin to caramelise, slice some red and yellow peppers and add them to the saucepan. You can also add additional vegetables at this point depending on your taste.
- Continue to stir-fry on a high heat and then add the mushrooms of your choice!
- Sprinkle on your favourite ingredients such as soy sauce, vegetable stock, salt and pepper, and allow everything to cook for about 5 minutes on low heat.
Serve with your cooked rice or noodles, and if you wish, top it all off with some coriander!
Sautéed Mushrooms on Toast
Need something quick and easy to make that can get you energised for the day? Don’t worry, we’ve got you!
- Heat some extra virgin olive oil in a non-stick pan and add your mushrooms, along with some thyme, rosemary and crushed garlic.
- Continue to sauté until golden-brown and tender, which should happen in about 3 minutes.
Spoon your sautéed mushrooms on some wholegrain toast or baguette, garnish with fresh thyme and enjoy. Yes, it’s that easy!
Craving some bold flavours and a soothing, warm soup? Then you will absolutely love this hearty wild mushroom soup!
- Heat a large pan and fry some chopped onions and garlic until softened.
- Then add the mushrooms and allow it to gently cook for 10 minutes, while stirring frequently.
- Add the stock, mix well and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Add the cream and finally, purée the mixture with a stick blender, cooking the soup for a further 5 minutes.
Season to taste, ladle the soup into bowls and serve with some bread, if you wish!
You may use portobello mushrooms for this fun recipe!
- Place the mushrooms caps gill-side down on a baking sheet and roast them in a 220°C oven for about 20 minutes.
- Then flip over the mushrooms and fill each cap with marinara sauce, which can be self-made or bought from the store.
- Also, fill the caps with a generous tablespoon of mozzarella – and for all those cheese-lovers out there, don’t be shy to add some more!
- Bake the caps again, until the cheese has melted, and the mushrooms are softened, which should happen in about 2 minutes.
- Finally, top each mushroom pizza with a touch of basil pesto.
And there you have it – self-made mushroom pizzas for your group of guests or just for you!
Prefer the Powdered Form?
If you don’t really like the texture and taste of mushrooms, no problem! This superfood is now sold in powdered form too, allowing you to still benefit from its nutrients! The supplement is simply dried mushrooms, ground into a fine powder.
Feel free to mix and blend the powder into your favourite dishes or ingredients!
So, what are you waiting for? Try these indulging mushroom recipes today!